Updated: Aug 28, 2018
Honeybees are one of the most remarkable creatures on the planet. Here's some fun facts we bet you didn't know!
1. Honeybees can sense danger from people or animals over 50 ft. away.
2. The glue that's used to seal up tiny cracks in a hive, propolis, is also a natural antibiotic.
3. Worker honey bees are all female.
4. The male honeybees, drones, have no stinger and do no work.
5. An explorer found a 2000 year old jar of honey in an Egyptian tomb and said it was delicious!
6. Honeybees have been producing honey in the same way for 150 million years.
7. The honeybee is the only insect that produces food that people eat.
8. A bees' wings beat 11,400 times per minute - that's the buzz you hear.
9. Honey was part of Cleopatra's daily beauty ritual due to its ability to attract and retain moisture.
10. Bees may have a small brain, but they have the capacity to remember things and make complex calculations.
11. One bee would have to fly 90,000 miles to make one pound of honey.
12. But the average bee will make only 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
13. The natural fruit sugars in honey are quickly digested by the body - making it a favorite among athletes and sportsman.
14. A bee performs a 'waggle dance' when it's found a good source of nectar - dancing to reflect the position of the flower in relation to the sun and hive.
15. Honey is the only food that contains an antioxidant associate with improved brain functioning, "pinocembrin."